Far from the madenning crowd (not very far though) , thought of spending my 31st with a perfect dinner. Wanted to go to restaurant which I did not try tilll date and again used our good 'ol Google to help me out of this fix. After navigating, I zeroed down to a new Indian restaurant in south Kolkata. There was many pointers before I could have dedided where to head, most important of which was 'NO WAITING'. It is often experienced that restaurant where one has towait in long ques, ends up in a not so good dining experience,especially in terms of taste of food.
Being a very finacky customer, I want 1000% customer satisfaction, especially when it comes to dining out,as its all about a good experience & not only good food. We entered this restaurant, which looked good and suttle, around 70 seater I presume. We entered and we see this middle-aged man heading towards us and greeting with a smile. Sophistication was the last word you can use for the gentlemen, he was too direct, funny, intially dumb but not so dumb and interesting character. We started placing our order with 1 full chicken tandoori, proceeding to 1 full chicken bharta and 5 tandoori rotis. I was unsure if this would suffice and ask my friend & wife if they would like some paneer, and then started the fun journey of this man-His first move - while we were thinking whether to order matar paneer or not, this guy takes the menu card from my hand saying 'chhoriye paneer kya khaiyega'. I was little confused with this gesture but laughed it off.
Second Move- The table beside us ordered something similar to us and he replied ' ek hi plate tha, unhone le liya'. As if he was talking about some goods and saying - last piece tha maadam, khatam ho gaya. From here started the journey where a ate and laughed more.
The funny thing about this man was that WHOEVER calls him to order food, without even listening to what they want, he only suggests ' Chicken Biryani and Chicken Kassa Khaiye', which i found wiered but after sometime when young guys entered for a late dinner and got the same suggestion which they denied, they were told that this is the only dish left. After 'forced' food order these guys proceeded to washroom, which went unnoticed by the other staffs and security. After few minutes, thy guy carrying their food saw an empty table and trust me guys, I have NEVER seen a waiter so tensed & shocked EVER in my life. He started searching for them and asked the security guy 'Kaha gaye yelog'. For a moment I though he was given some task in a reality show which will determine his fate in the show. He was so frantic that he did not even noticed the guests' helmet on the chair, which finally gave him assurance that his task will not go in vain.
It was time to leave and go for the dessert to some good coffee shop after, ofcourse, a drive to Park Street. The gentlemen came and asked our opinion about the food and then he said ' Kal din mein kya kar rahe hain aaplog, come for lunch and you get 1 biryani free on ordering 1'. Now i understood that all his over-friendly gesture and interaction was to build guest relation and somewhere I was impressed with his attitude and the way he interacted with others.
Jo bhi hai, sorry to wish so late but wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year.
interesting take..and very well written..look forward to more such anecdotes..which restaurant was it btw..
ReplyDelete